New Members, Please Introduce Yourself!

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

The Veg Ben L
Larryville, GA, USA   USA
1970 Lotus Elan +2 "Yelotus"
Hi all,
I don't own a Sunbeam* but I grew up around them- my dad had several, starting with a Series I that had been my mom's first new car before the two of them met. That's actually why I'm here. I got to wondering what happened to my dad's last Alpine (the sole survivor of his bunch). Of course I don't have a VIN or a license plate number or anything concrete, but I figured maybe, just maybe, if I described it enough, somebody recognise it, although honestly I'm not really expecting results. But anyway, here goes.

That last Alpine of my dad's was a '67 Series V, BRG with steel wheels. He was living in Georgia at the time he sold it, although I don't recall whether he was living in Milledgeville or Atlanta- he sold the car right around the time he moved from Milledgeville to Atlanta, which was in 1988. The car had a burnt spot on the bonnet from an engine-fire in the late '70s, and that fire actually sealed the deal for Dad to buy the car, oddly enough. It had a new top on at the time and also had a brake-problem (faulty booster? memory is foggy). Dad also had just about everything needed to do a restoration, probably included in the sale: a whole spare powertrain, new sets of carpet and upholstery still in boxes, the knock-on wire wheels and spindles from the old Series I, etc. My dad's name was Jerold L. and he was a psychologist at the state hospital, and also owned a pair of Alfa Romeos. His nickname for the green Alpine was Henrietta, although I doubt that he would have told the buyer that.

Does this ring a bell to anybody?

*But I do have an old Lotus.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1967 Sunbeam Alpine

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links