Rack conversion, other early vs late questions pre-buy

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

tvrgeek Avatar
tvrgeek Silver Member Scott S
Hillsborough, North Carolinia, USA   USA
1965 MG MGB
Looking through the search results, I don't see many comments on if it is possible to put a Tiger rack into a S3 or S4 Alpine. I gather it is not really necessary as the OEM config works fine, just wondering as I start looking seriously at my next project.

Similar question, is there any real advantage of the ball joints vs. the king pins. Dialing in just a tad of anti-dive is one ( don't know if Sunbeam did this). Maintenance is not an issue as I am clever enough to use a grease gun.

Other than I kind of like the fins, excluding the engine and trans ( planning on a 2.8/AOD) what advantages early to late cars? I think the S4 has a steel hardtop which if it works as well as my SPit and TR-6, is just what I want. I re-wire all my cars, so those issues are moot.

I saw a comment on the caster shims degrading on older cars. I guess it confirms the technique is valid for my B.

I assume SOP for more power is traction bars. Is Panhard, Watts or Mumford link common? Room for a 3 or 4 link coilover if one were to get carried away?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TigerDan Avatar
TigerDan Silver Member Dan Richardson
Greenwood, SC, USA   USA
1967 Sunbeam Alpine "Blue Boy"
1967 Sunbeam Alpine "Commodore Blue"
I find nothing wrong with the stock front for Alpine Series III-V.

Running the later series front suspension in the SI-II's is a more common option now due to lack of supply and higher cost of parts when they are found.

Keep'em-on-the-Road

'67 SV Commodore Blue V6
Restored & Modified w/2.8 V6 FORD, T5, A/C & Electric Power Steering
Tiger2Dan’s Link: ​ ​http://danr.mhartman.net/
PDF file on Converting your Alpine:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/13vKZ9JhB0vO8p2PrMl1x1qfCxh17xJIg_KCIo7HeFok/edit
?ts=5a51997d

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1963 Sunbeam Alpine

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links