AutoShrine Sponsor

Skye Avatar
Skye Webmaster Skye Nott
Vancouver, BC, Canada   CAN
1964 Vespa VNB 125
1966 MG MGB "The Bomber RIP"
1983 Suzuki MC GS750E "Kate"
1986 Merkur XR4Ti "The Rally Car"    & more
Did you wash & wax your Sunbeam Alpine today, or drive to a scenic viewpoint?
Fire it up for the first time after a rebuild or make an in-car or drive-by video?
Maybe it's just a nice day and you feel like using that fancy new camera...

Share photos or videos of your car in this topic!

Just scroll down to the reply section, and click Attachments to add photos to your post.

You can also copy & paste links to videos on Youtube, Vimeo, etc in your reply, and a video player will be automatically "embedded" in your post.

.... Don't forget to add your car to the Registry too, and be part of our virtual car show!

Member Services:
Building the best online communities for auto enthusiasts

Attachments:
1962_Sunbeam_Alpine_000.jpg    36.1 KB
1962_Sunbeam_Alpine_000.jpg

1960_Sunbeam_Alpine_000.jpg    31 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Toyanvil Avatar
Toyanvil John A
Bakersfield, California, USA   USA

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Skye Avatar
Skye Webmaster Skye Nott
1964 Vespa VNB 125
Wow, great photos John! Thanks for sharing.
Cherry blossoms?

Member Services:
Jimmyjo Avatar
Jimmyjo James Jordan
Newbury Park, California, USA   USA
1967 Sunbeam Alpine "Sunny"
Well, after searching for ground problems, connection problems, and many hours of searching, Finally found my problem with the temp gauge and fuel gauge. The fiber insulating washers were missing from my gauges, creating a short to the gauge housings. Once I isolated the spade connections from the housings, the gauges worked fine. Granted, the gas gauge is not correct yet, but it is working. Much better than a stick.
The temp sending unit was bad also, but since I have 4 engines. (two disassembled) it was good to find a working one.

Finally after 6 years, it's nice to drive a bit and it's much more enjoyable doing the finishing touches now. I do have to say though that at 60-65 mph I'm looking for that other gear. May have to seriously think about the cost of the over-drive, but will have to wait for my car fund to build back up a bit. For now, will stay out of the fast lane.

Made plans to go the the Queens English show this year, but the morning of the show, as I backed out of the driveway, the clutch started making loud noises. So went with a batch of photos as I had already paid my admission fee.
Monday morning by the time I got to my mechanic, the noise stopped. ???? We'll see what happens, it hasn't showed up again. But I'm waiting.

Anyway, things are looking good. Happy driving.....

Attachments:
fuel gauge.JPG    30.2 KB
fuel gauge.JPG

fuel-temp gauge.JPG    25.8 KB
Sunny No Show Day 003.JPG    44.7 KB
Skye Avatar
Skye Webmaster Skye Nott
1964 Vespa VNB 125
Congrats on finding that grounding problem, those are so hard to find sometimes. Have to be very methodical and use the process of elimination. I remember seeing those washers on the back of my gauges, I'll have to remember that if the question comes up again.

Well at least you've got it in good running condition for the spring driving season! No overdrive just means you have to take the scenic routes, sometimes being forced to slow down and smell the roses is a good thing winking smiley

Member Services:
Toyanvil Avatar
Toyanvil John A

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Skye Avatar
Skye Webmaster Skye Nott
1964 Vespa VNB 125
Great photos John!

Please add them to our Registry when you have a minute

http://www.sunbeamclub.com/registry/

Member Services:
Toyanvil Avatar
Toyanvil John A
Done

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-27 11:10 AM by Toyanvil.

tgrhntr Jon Clark
Sunnyvale, CA, USA   USA
Jimmyjo said: "I do have to say though that at 60-65 mph I'm looking for that other gear. May have to seriously think about the cost of the over-drive, but will have to wait for my car fund to build back up a bit. For now, will stay out of the fast lane."

I realize that I'm responding to an older post, but if your motor is screaming at "60-65 mph" then it's possible that your rear-end ratio is 4:22 (factory equip. for cars fitted w/overdrive unit attached)... and not the 3:89 specd for cars w/o o-drive.
Ask me how I know. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-07 06:57 PM by tgrhntr.

Jimmyjo Avatar
Jimmyjo James Jordan
Newbury Park, California, USA   USA
1967 Sunbeam Alpine "Sunny"
Well, when you normally drive a Lexus on the Freeway, it sounds like 3800/4200 RPM is screaming. Rear end is good, but have now added an OD, so hopefully this prob is not a prob. Have not had the OD hooked up yet, still need to replace the speedometer, cable, switch, and wireing. I will be ready for the Queens English show next month in Van Nuys. May 22,2016. Almost made it last year until the clutch started making a bunch of noise as I pulled out of the driveway to go there. Oh well, that's the hobby. This new engine seems to be holding temp very nicely, right at 85C and oil pressure maintaining right about 45-50 or so. Hope to get out on the Freeway this weekend to see how things really are.
More later.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1965 Sunbeam Tiger

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links