Alpine Club Forum

Interior adequate for a 6 footer?

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

cobralee1 Ron Lee
Burbank, California, USA   USA
Hello to the forum.

I am new to the forum and am searching for a Sunbeam Alpine/Tiger. This may seem like a silly question, but there aren't any located in my area, at least for sale, and have only one question to ask of you. I am about 6 feet tall. Before I start seaching for a Sunbeam located out of the city or state, I need to know if I would comfortably fit into one. Can any of you who are approximately 6 feet or taller tell me if there's adequate room to get in/out and drive comfortably? I've gone to various car shows and gatherings but Sunbeams are not to be found.

Thanks and appreciate your feedback.

Ron

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Debs60BugEye Avatar
Debs60BugEye Keith Smith
Salina, Kansas, USA   USA
I am interested in this also. I am 6'4". The 60' Bugeye has more leg room than the 1976 MGB (and the MGB windshield frame is exactly at eye pupil level!). A friend is pushing me to look into an Alpine project car to store and pursue after the BE rebuild. I am not sure if I am up to three cars. Also, the 6'4" body fit is an issue as I have heard they are small cockpits?
Keith

Jimmyjo Avatar
Jimmyjo James Jordan
Newbury Park, California, USA   USA
1967 Sunbeam Alpine "Sunny"
Quite adequate, I am 6'2" about 200# and I have no problem. I have a 67 Alpine. Plenty of room. Lots of leg room.The seat is back as far as it goes though.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Debs60BugEye Avatar
Debs60BugEye Keith Smith
Salina, Kansas, USA   USA
I may just have to go check it out... smiling smiley

67Survivor Avatar
67Survivor Rob F
Victoria, BC, Canada   CAN
Hi Ron, I just bought a 67 Alpine. I am 6'1 and I have a hard time "fitting" my legs behind the wheel. If the window winder is in the wrong spot, my leg gets stuck when clutching. My brothers are as tall and taller, but have no issues. Apparently I tend to use the ball of my foot on the peddles, not the middle of my foot and have a very long lower leg. 34" inseam. Good luck in your search.

cobralee1 Ron Lee
Jimmyjo and Rob F-

Thanks for your feedback. I did find one to sit in an as you said, it was adequate. I did purchase a '66 Alpine...but I may have to replace the steering wheel as it hits my knees at times.

Ron

Jimmyjo Avatar
Jimmyjo James Jordan
Newbury Park, California, USA   USA
1967 Sunbeam Alpine "Sunny"
Hey Ron,
Doesn't your steering wheel adjust? It should, center should unscrew and the steering wheel will pull up or down. Shouldn't be hitting your knees. Unless maybe you're a REALLY Big boy. Anyway welcome to the Sunbeam Alpine world. I'm in the process of building another new engine and putting in an OverDrive transmission. Out here on California Freeways I just don't feel good with the setup I'm running. Feels like my engine is straining too much at the higher RPMS to keep up with traffic. I'm running a . 060 overbore with the twin Strombergs, and I'm going with an engine with ..020 overbore and going to the two barrel Webber carb setup. Drove one recently with that setup and was amazed at the feel of it. Wasn't as pretty as Sunnypit, but ran a heck of a lot better.
Good luck with yours. Feel free to contact me anytime.

Attachments:
71.JPG    37.4 KB
71.JPG

srwhitman Scott W
Santa Clara, CA, USA   USA
I almost didn't buy my car (I got a Tiger a few years ago) because I didn't fit well. I definitely can't fit in a Jag XKE. I'm 5'11" with 32" inseam. But I guess my knee is in the wrong place.
So, I cobbled together a solution.
I bring the steering wheel all the way toward me.
I bought a smaller steering wheel that has a bit of a dish to it. Mine doesn't have all that much (Its a mota-lita) but probably could have gone with even bigger dish. Downside is that brings even closer but does clear the knee.
I couldn't lower the seat itself so I took out foam from the seat bottom and back. Actually, a LOT of foam and I use a different seat anyway (A Corbeau GTS - I wanted a rear head support). We loosened the spring supports as well.
I do have the original seat but it seems to sit higher.
I move the seat back as far as it will go - but that is the problem - it just doesn't go far back enough.

cobralee1 Ron Lee
Thanks Scott...I'll consider those options...for sure I'll need to get a smaller diameter steering wheel....won't be original but they have alot of good looking steering wheels available.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1967 Sunbeam Alpine

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links