Alpine Club Forum

External oil cooler?

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

bdh911 Avatar
bdh911 Brad Hall
Skaneateles, NY, USA   USA
The PO of my 1963 Series 3 had maintained the existing oil filter, but installed an extant oil cooler with a cooling fan and radiator behind the front grill. Overkill? Issues with oil circulation and cooling on stock set ups? Thx.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ahaugland Avatar
ahaugland Silver Member Alex Haugland
Eugene, Oregon, USA   USA
I don't know of any issues with the stock setup, but the oil cooler isn't likely to hurt. It having its own fan seems a little excessive, if I'm understanding your description correctly... MGAs and MGBs frequently had an external oil cooler factory installed, as well as other higher performance models of cars like the Mini Cooper S. Though not necessarily required, it gives a little more cooling capacity to the engine as it reduces the temperature of the oil, preventing the coolant and thus the radiator from having to absorb that heat instead. It also increases the oil capacity of the car a bit, which also helps cool the oil in itself. If things don't leak, I'd probably leave it in place. If you're trying to take the car back to concours condition or if it leaks like a sieve, then I'd look at removing it, but otherwise, it's a plus, providing a little more insurance for the wellbeing of the car.

--Alex Haugland
Eugene, Oregon
USA

sunalp2 Avatar
sunalp2 Francis Borg
Melbourne, VIC, Australia   AUS
Rootes offered an oil cooler as an accessory.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

2005 Sunbeam Sweetheart

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links