Alpine Club Forum

Overdrive trans do they interchange

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Bondobudie 54 Avatar
Bondobudie 54 Everett Medeiros
Seekonk, MA, USA   USA
Hi first time posting ... I have a 67 Alpine 4 speed I am looking to install a overdrive unit do all overdrive units fit ???? I am looking at at two units right one is from a 63 Alpine with the wiring harness what is the going price for them ????

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
OrangeAlpine Bill Blue
Connersville, Indiana, USA   USA
A strange thing in the Alpine world, there seems to be no going price for anything. It is such a thin market,

Your question about the overdrive units units is complex. Yes, all overdrive unit fit. The catch - you need an overdrive mainshaft. They are impossbile to find. They twist, causing the OD to not funtion. In the event you find the shaft, you also need an OD output housing (I think).

Bill

Bondobudie 54 Avatar
Seekonk, MA, USA   USA
Thanks for the reply Bill I can buy the trans & overdrive complete, with most of the wiring,, the trans is a non synco 1st gear ... The price is $850
I was wondering if this is a good price ????

Thanks Everett

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
OrangeAlpine Bill Blue
If it works, yes. The lack of an overdrive is the biggest downside to the Alpine, especially if used on the highway. "Back in the day" I thought the lack of a synchro first was a big deal, not so much anymore. Of course, I haven't driven a non-synchro first for, let me see, about 40 years!

BTW, I have a theory about what kills the mainshaft: Downshifting from OD to direct with the throttle closed, especially while in third. I think that situation develops more stress on the drivetrain than going from direct to OD with wide open throttle. Some guys do so far as to clutch while engaging/disengaging the OD.

Bill

Bondobudie 54 Avatar
Seekonk, MA, USA   USA
Hey Bill thanks for the info it was great ...A couple more question .. Ok the overdrive works electrically right so can it be shut of the same way or does it disengage when the shifter out of gear??? Can an overdrive be installed on any trans?????

Everett

OrangeAlpine Bill Blue
Yes, the overdrive is electric. The stock setup allows it to be engaged whenever the gear shifter is on the righthand side of the shift pattern, including neutral.

No, the overdrive cannot be installed on any transmission. Remember I said you need the overdrive mainshaft? Well, the synchro mainshaft is different than the non synchro mainshaft. So there are four mainshafts, synchro non OD, synchro OD, non-synchro non OD and non-synchro OD.

In short, you cannot put that OD on a fully synchronized tranny. Am I a turd head for bringing such rotten news, or what!?

Bill

Bondobudie 54 Avatar
Seekonk, MA, USA   USA
Thanks Bill,
I almost bought a trans and overdrive non synchro for $850. I would have made a big mistake. Thank you again for all you help ..

Thanks Everett

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1967 Sunbeam Alpine

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links