Alpine Club Forum

Hard to steer

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

JDSJR Avatar
JDSJR John Shell
Rising Fawn, Georgia, USA   USA
My car is hard to steer. When you are driving, it dart all over the road, the faster you go the harder it is to control. I cant find amything loose or worn out in the front end. The steering box is full of fluid. I have changed wheels and didnt help. The shocks and alignment are good. Has anyone had this problem?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
OrangeAlpine Bill Blue
Connersville, Indiana, USA   USA
I had the same problem. The solution: Make double sure everything is right. I took my car to an established alignment shop and gave them the specs. The alignment they did was entirely wrong. Considerable negative camber and toe. Made the car very "darty". Also, as you probably know, the steering box leaks like a sieve, the only rational solution is grease. However, it took me three "fill ups" over a period of a couple of years before it was really full. Seems the grease would migrate to the corners of the box. Believe it or not, when the box was finally full, the damn drove a LOT nicer. No, I can't explain why.

Also make sure the caster is correct. My car had only about 2 degrees, increasing it to 3 made a big difference. I had to make the change by unbolting the crossmember from the frame and increasing the thickness of the rear shim.

My experience is that while alignment shops are quite willing to charge you for an alignment, they don't know squat about the Alpine and are hesitant to do any more than take measurements and set the toe.

Bill

JDSJR Avatar
JDSJR John Shell
Rising Fawn, Georgia, USA   USA
Thanks, i put a rack and pinion from an MGB on it. That help a lot but still has some darting. I ordered new ball joints and bushings. When i get those in I will have an alignment done and make sure it has 3 degres positive caster. Thanks for the advice. John

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1964 Sunbeam Venezia

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links