SunbeamExp

Alpine Club Forum

What did you do with your Sunbeam Alpine today?

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

67Survivor Avatar
67Survivor Rob F
Victoria, BC, Canada   CAN
Last week she got new tires. I put 185/70/13's on the back and 175/70/13's on the front. 185's sat a bit too proud on the front. I am using the rims that were on the car when I bought it: classic Cragar rims in a 4 bolt 13" are apparently extremely rare these days. They may not be original, but they sure look sharp for 40 year old rims.

I've also been cleaning and repairing the electrical system. Fortunately most of the issues are just oxidized connection points and everything seems happy to fire up once it is cleaned and reassembled. I'm still working on the horns and the blower motor, but at least the horns burp when I activate them.

At this point I am waiting to get the fuel tanks back from the shop where I had them cut in half and cleaned out. After sitting for 25 years, the coating that had previously been applied to the inside of the tanks had separated and needed to be removed. Apparently they are being welded back together this week, and I may be on the road this weekend. Fingers are crossed....

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Jimmyjo Avatar
Jimmyjo James Jordan
Newbury Park, California, USA   USA
1967 Sunbeam Alpine "Sunny"
I also went with the 185x70x13s, but I used them all the way around. Filled the wheel wells nicely and gives a pretty nice stance I think.

The Overdrive transmission is working great, it takes a different speedometer, which came with the rebuilt transmission. I had problems with breaking the speedometer cable, I broke two in a row. Turns out that it was the speedometer that was seizing up. Since I had the old speedometer, I just took it apart and reassembled it a few times to make sure I knew what I was doing. Sure enough, the seized one had old dried lubricant in it. Once I cleaned all the parts and reset, recalibrated, it works like a charm without any wavering and is correct within 1-2 MPH. I think the tachometer is off though, so looking into recalibrating/rebuilding that.

The backroads of California make for almost year around driving. Little by little extending the driving distance. Only been about 50 miles from home so far, but now it's about time for a weekend drive up to Santa Barbara which would give me about 125 miles round trip. Yep have my AAA card with me.

Attachments:
20160520_163434.jpg    47.2 KB
20160520_163434.jpg

Jimmyjo Avatar
Jimmyjo James Jordan
My engine compartment is looking about as good as I can get it. Getting ready to replace the heater valve. I had adapted a Honda heater valve, which works well, but I just liked the looks of the original style. (expensive little sucker.) While I'm not an absolute purist when it comes to originality, I do like to keep it close.

Getting ready for the Channel Islands all British Car Show on July 17th. I did manage to make it there last year after a breakdown, tow home, repair to the clutch and finally showed up in the afternoon.
In the past, I would have just been discouraged and not gone to the show, but I've been going out with a friend as part of his pit-crew to the vintage race car events, and watched these guys just repair stuff on the spot and get back on the road. Was inspired to "just fix it" if possible, and get back on the road.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
7-1-16 engine.jpg    51.5 KB
7-1-16 engine.jpg

NoBigTing Arthur Roberts
Stockbridge, Georgia, USA   USA
I painted my 1963 on 4 July, 6 coats of 2016 Ford Red. Came out Flawless.

In reply to # 59 by Skye Did you repair or replace some worn out parts?
Add a new accessory?
Take it out for a drive on twisty back roads?

What did YOU do with your Alpine today?

Post your update below......

Bondobudie 54 Avatar
Bondobudie 54 Everett Medeiros
Seekonk, MA, USA   USA
During last winter I removed my 4 speed and changed it over to an overdrive .. When I removed the carpets there was rust underneath just surface rust I cleaned up the floors and used Hammerite Paint 3 coats .. I love is paint it is hard as a rock... Since I was working on the Alpine I fixed the defrosters new cables fixed the diverter box. Replaced the starter and got the reverse lights to work.. Next came the gauges I replaced lights with LED light bulbs much better. New hand brake cable and painted the hand brake. Lets not for get replacing 2 freeze plugs behind the exhaust manifold and the starter what BITCH did that 2 days ago. Today I removed from a parts car the 3 piece cover that come a the GT's and I am installing on my 67 not the easiest but will look much better tomorrow I should have them in place .I still have not taken it out for a drive yet. Maybe next week.

Attachments:
Logan & owen 8-1-15 021.JPG    47.6 KB
Logan & owen  8-1-15 021.JPG

NoBigTing Arthur Roberts
Fabrication of new Rollbar, changed Wheel Cylinders .

Add a new accessory?

Skye Avatar
Skye Webmaster Skye Nott
Vancouver, BC, Canada   CAN
1964 Vespa VNB 125
1966 MG MGB "The Bomber RIP"
1983 Suzuki MC GS750E "Kate"
1986 Merkur XR4Ti "The Rally Car"    & more
No kidding, you bend your own roll bar tubing? That must use some interesting tools.

Do you have a welded or a bolt-in cage? I've always been wary of the effectiveness of bolt-ins.

Skye

Member Services:
Building the best online communities for auto enthusiasts
NoBigTing Arthur Roberts
I used one from a Mazda Miata , I made a bracket to install it. I am a welder.

NoBigTing Arthur Roberts
Installed weather stripping on trunk , bleed brakes.

Add a new accessory?

carsareapain Avatar
carsareapain David Grant
Baltimore, Maryland, USA   USA
Finally, I am starting to bolt on more than I am taking off. I also got rid of a few "hardware store insults" and replaced the with the proper bits from "British Wiring". Then I made a new plastic drain tap for the radiator and a new drain for the block.

(Oh, and yes, that IS masking tape on the hood. I wanted to see what it would look like with paired, off-center stripes.)

Attachments:
P8070136.JPG    57.8 KB
P8070136.JPG

P8070133.JPG    49.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
P8050130.JPG    37.1 KB
P8070137.JPG    57.6 KB
P8050128.JPG    56.4 KB
NoBigTing Arthur Roberts
Removed Wire Harness today to replace with up to date wire harsess.

In reply to # 68595 by NoBigTing Fabrication of new Rollbar, changed Wheel Cylinders .

Add a new accessory?

Toyanvil Avatar
Toyanvil John A
Bakersfield, California, USA   USA
I have been driving my car so much, I had to add LED strip lights under the dash and a drink holder grinning smiley

Toyanvil Avatar
Toyanvil John A
Bakersfield, California, USA   USA
The drink holder worked great.
We went to the Clovis British Car Roundup about 120 miles from home. It was a lot of fun to be with other Sunbeams, 2 Alpines and 2 Tigers. It was fun to watch people try to figure out what the motor is :rofl: I did get second place, only losing to one of the rarest right hand drive Sunbeam Tiger I have ever seen. I think second place at a show where most people look for all original cars was unbelievable.

NoBigTing Arthur Roberts
Rewiring my 1993 Alpine, complete new Harness.

Add a new accessory?

Jimmyjo Avatar
Jimmyjo James Jordan
Was able to find the correct trim rings for my car. I was running the old style, which I did like, but picking through a friends junque box came up with 4 trim rings that needed a bit of help. After spending some time with a hammer and dolly, and a lot of steel wool, and polishing compound I came up with some pretty nice wheels. Not perfect, but for 50 years old, aging well.

Attachments:
DSCF2001.JPG    40.8 KB
DSCF2001.JPG

DSCF2002.JPG    37.8 KB
DSCF2003.JPG    37.3 KB

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1966 Sunbeam Tiger

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links