SunbeamExp

Alpine Club Forum

What did you do with your Sunbeam Alpine today?

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Jimmyjo Avatar
Jimmyjo James Jordan
Newbury Park, California, USA   USA
1967 Sunbeam Alpine "Sunny"
I also like the mirrors, I think they look very period. Wish I hadn't of drilled my doors now. Well, I'm happy with mine, but again, looks good.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
99ZoomR Avatar
99ZoomR Silver Member Leonard Lee
Heyworth, Illinois, USA   USA
I bought the mirrors at my local O'Reilly's autoparts store. They didn't have them in stock (part #1705) so they had to order them and I had them a few days later...

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/KSO1/1705/N0314.oap?ck=Search_N0314_-1_1867&categoryRedirect=N0314&pt=N0314&ppt=C0329

The gap where it goes over the lip on the door was a little too wide so I put the piece in my vise and squeezed it a little closer together. A rubber spacer would probably also work.

Good Luck!

Len

Toyanvil Avatar
Toyanvil John A
Bakersfield, California, USA   USA
I got the Miata motor & trans in yesterday, getting close.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Skye Avatar
Skye Webmaster Skye Nott
Vancouver, BC, Canada   CAN
1964 Vespa VNB 125
1966 MG MGB "The Bomber RIP"
1983 Suzuki MC GS750E "Kate"
1986 Merkur XR4Ti "The Rally Car"    & more
Nice clean install! I like those braces, they don't get in the way.

Skye

Member Services:
Building the best online communities for auto enthusiasts
Toyanvil Avatar
Toyanvil John A
They did, I had to move them out board about 3 inches.

Toyanvil Avatar
Toyanvil John A
I got my valve cover all welded up and powder coated.

Skye Avatar
Skye Webmaster Skye Nott
Vancouver, BC, Canada   CAN
1964 Vespa VNB 125
1966 MG MGB "The Bomber RIP"
1983 Suzuki MC GS750E "Kate"
1986 Merkur XR4Ti "The Rally Car"    & more
Wow that looks great John. I love that powder coat / hammer coat finish.

Member Services:
Building the best online communities for auto enthusiasts
Jimmyjo Avatar
Jimmyjo James Jordan
Super nice install. Kept thinking about this while I was going down the Hwy at 65 mph doing 4200 RPM. Seems like my poor little engine is screaming.

Toyanvil Avatar
Toyanvil John A
Getting closer.
Cut in the adapter I made, and powder coated the tank.

Cut down the fuel pump and sender.

Pump in the tank and filter on.

Jimmyjo Avatar
Jimmyjo James Jordan
Starting a new engine rebuild and adding an overdrive transmission to my Alpine. It will most likely be my Winter project. Of course a Winter project in So. California is not such a big deal. Was never happy with the 60 Over bore engine I was running, and driving the freeways out here without an OD is almost crazy. Was able to successfully purchase the OD "Kit" from England at a very nice price and have been waiting to install it. The last drive I made resulted in a broken clutch, so instead of fixing the clutch at the moment, decided to go the long route and redo the whole drivetrain. $$$$$$$$$$$ My Alpine Sunny-pit strikes again. Made the decision that I wanted a car that I could jump in and drive anywhere I wanted and not worry about going 150 miles and breaking down. Besides local trips around town for coffee or to the store, have only managed 4 trips longer than 80 miles roundtrip,and two of those I was towed home, and two I was able to limp home. So I'm paying attention to details and doing things the right way.

Toyanvil Avatar
Toyanvil John A
Sorry for the late up-date.
I got the car back on the road late May. It took about 3 months to install, working on it after work and weekends, I have about 300 miles on it now.
I have driven this car for 37 years, 34 with the Datsun running gear. I can tell you this, the Datsun stuff was about the same as the stock Sunbeam. The Miata has a LOT more power around 120 hp., it pulls good all the way into 3rd gear and runs 3100 rpm at 70 mph in 5th gear. I still need to weigh it with the Miata, it was 2006 lbs. at 51/49 ratio with the Datsun and the Miata motor & trans is around 80 lbs. more. Handling feels the same, with about 3 times more performance. I just got tired of messing around with the carburetor to run on todays fuel. I started building an air filter that will look more period correct and a floor plate to hold the ECU.

And I got my new plates.

Harrington Jan Avatar
Harrington Jan Jan Iggbom
Bålsta, Uppland, Sweden   SWE
1962 Sunbeam Alpine "Harrington Le Mans"
1963 Sunbeam Alpine "The White One"
1963 Sunbeam Alpine "Golden Rocket"
1963 Sunbeam Alpine "The Red One"
Built two doors to my carport to hide what's inside, Alpine 3 and Harrington D.

Harrington Jan Avatar
Harrington Jan Jan Iggbom
Bålsta, Uppland, Sweden   SWE
1962 Sunbeam Alpine "Harrington Le Mans"
1963 Sunbeam Alpine "The White One"
1963 Sunbeam Alpine "Golden Rocket"
1963 Sunbeam Alpine "The Red One"
Went for a 60Km drive in sunshine +12 C on twisty roads in my Harrington D

Jimmyjo Avatar
Jimmyjo James Jordan
Progress is continuing on building a new engine and converting to an OD transmission. Timing schedule was moved a bit forward as my clutch cover thrust plate broke into about 5 pieces, which also of course destroyed the throw-out bearing (bushing). Tried finding a clutch cover for a Series V? Don't make them. Anyway found a company down in National City Ca. that does rebuild them at a cost of $125.00. Little pricey, but...............

Anyway hoping to get back on the road by spring-time. (Spring-time comes pretty early here in California)
More as I progress along.
Jim

Attachments:
clutch cover.jpg    24.1 KB
clutch cover.jpg

Jimmyjo Avatar
Jimmyjo James Jordan
Just completed rebuild (again) of a new engine for my Series V. Will be using the Twin Strombergs to startup, I've shown a Series IV setup with a Solex, will most likely convert to a Weber in the future with this setup. I know for sure the Strombergs at least work. I like their looks, but I hear such good reports on the Weber setup for reliability, etc. Am joining this with a newly rebuilt overdrive setup, and am hoping for good results with all.
Later,
Jim

Attachments:
Twin Strombergs.jpg    45.7 KB
Twin Strombergs.jpg

Solex.jpg    45.5 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1967 Sunbeam Alpine

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links