Tiger Club Forum

Need Front Hub Removal Help

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Revrider Avatar
Revrider Ben Abney
Saluda, NC, USA   USA
OK, just bought a 1964 Alpine with wire wheels. Been in a barn for a long time, but in excellent condition. Tried to drive it home and burned up my right front wheel bearing. Went back and towed it home. In garage on jack stands now. Already bought new wheel bearings, but am stumped with hub removal. The problem is the castle nut. I need to know the size. I've looked on other forums and they say remove it with Channel Locks. That will not work with a wire wheel hub. Nut is too deep in the hub to reach with pliers. There seems to be no cotter pin, Maybe destroyed with the shimmy and heat when the bearing failed at highway speed. Anyway, need the correct socket size for removal. It is not 1 1/8" as I have seen elsewhere. Smaller than that, but larger than 13/16.

Help appreciated.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
tiger 1.JPG    21.6 KB
tiger 1.JPG

Revrider Avatar
Revrider Ben Abney
Saluda, NC, USA   USA
OK. 24 mm socket works, but I cannot get the castle nut freed up. Too deep to get in with a chisel to beat it out. Before I go any father, is the nut on the right side regular thread or left hand thread?

With all the trouble this is, I'm thinking of replacing the splined spindles with 4 lug ones for bolt-on wheels, front and rear. Any source to purchase these would be appreciated. I know the Wilwood disc brake upgrade includes new spindles for the front, but I would need rear ones to match.

Ben

jimmc13 Avatar
jimmc13 Gold Member Jim McLaughlin
Fulton, Missouri, USA   USA
Revrider:

The Sunbeam parts manual specifies a lock washer behind the castle nut. If yous has a lock washer, it will be hard to loosen until the nut backs off past the height or depth of the lock washer curve. It might have a cotter that has been sheared off and is binding the nut. If this is the case and I have had this happen you can continue to remove castle nut and then using a punch drive the parts of the cotter pin out of the spindle. You might have to clean up the threads in the nut and on the spindle.

The parts manual call for a 1/2 inch UNF castle nut.
Suggestion:
Join the Sunbeam Forum at: http://www.sunbeamalpine.org/ . It is free and has all the tech and parts manuals you might need and you can download them. It is free unless you wish to donate, your choice.
Jim
1966 Tiger
1965 Alpine RHD

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1964 Sunbeam Alpine

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links